University of Cape Town UCT MBA Application Procedure
Note: Please ensure that you have completed ALL SIX STEPS, and GMAT, as no incomplete application will be considered by the Admissions Board.>
Step 1 – Download and read the MBA Application Guidelines.
Step 2 – The documents you will need:
The following documents are required as part of your application:
- Three Motivation Essays
- Certified copy of Degree Certificate and Academic Transcript
- Two Evaluator’s Forms: Select and approach two individuals who know you in a professional context and who are not family members to complete the confidential evaluator’s forms. Applicants are responsible for ensuring that each evaluator receives a form which must be returned directly from the evaluator to GSB Admissions. Your evaluators should email the Evaluator’s Forms to firstname.lastname@example.org
Step 3 – Complete a UCT online application:
NOTE: Supported internet browsers are Internet Explorer 7 – 11 as well as Firefox, Edge and Chrome. Unsupported browsers are not fully compatible and may prevent you from completing and/or submitting your online application.
When completing the “Programme of Study” section, please select the following:
- Select 2018 academic year
- Level of Qualification: GSB (Postgraduate Programmes)
- Faculty: Commerce
- Academic Qualification: GSB Master of Business Administration
Begin the Online Application here.
Step 4 – Pay your non-refundable application fee:
|Citizens of all African countries||R1 350 (One Thousand Three Hundred and Fifty Rand)|
|Applicants from all other countries||US$ 285 (Two Hundred and Eighty-Five US Dollars)|
Beneficiary: UNIVERSITY OF CAPE TOWN – GSB Account No.9
Bank: Standard Bank SA Ltd
Branch: Rondebosch, Western Cape
Branch Code: 025009
Swift code (for international payments): SBZAZAJJ
GSB Reference Number format: GSB / surname / first name – OR – UCT student number
Alternatively, please click here for the Credit Card Authorisation Form
Step 5 – Mandatory Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT):
All MBA applicants are required to write the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) and obtain an acceptable GMAT score. A GMAT score of 550 will ordinarily be required.
Bookings should be made at http://www.mba.com.
Step 6 – Deliver hard-copy documents:
GSB Admissions, Graduate School of Business
University of Cape Town
Cape Town, 8001
Please DO NOT send the documents to UCT Main Campus (Rondebosch).
Overnight courier or hand-deliver your documents to the GSB campus Breakwater Campus
- GSB Application Information Document
- Three Motivations
- Certified copy of ID or passport
- Certified copies of degree qualifications (degree certificate and transcripts). Copies of UCT qualifications are not required.
- Proof of payment of the non-refundable application fee.
Reminder to follow up with evaluators for the submission of the forms mentioned in Step 2.
Note: Each certified copy of diploma, transcript, partially completed degrees and ID or passport must carry an original stamp from a Commissioner of Oaths (or equivalent). Documents which have previously been certified and then photocopied, are not acceptable.
Step 6.1 – Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) Assessment (if applicable):
Applicants who do not meet the formal entrance criteria for the MBA can apply as RPL candidates by submitting the Portfolio of Evidence Assessment form in addition to their application. The RPL procedure is available here.
Students with outstanding balances on their fees accounts will not have any subsequent application processed until the debt has been settled in full.
Closing Date: Contact Admissions
- GMAT – Write the Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT) and obtain an acceptable GMAT score. A GMAT score of 550 will ordinarily be required.
- Must be on a company letterhead.
- Must detail the student name and student number.
- Must detail the amount of the sponsorship.
- Must agree to adhere to the Initial and Final Fee Payment Deadlines (50% paid prior to enrolment, with balance to be paid by 30 June).
- Must indicate contact details of a company representative (full names, designation, telephone number and email address) that can be contacted to verify the sponsorship
- Direct deposit at any branch of Standard Bank
- Internet banking direct transfer
- Telegraphic / wire transfer (from outside South Africa)
- Debit and Credit Card payments (we do not accept American Express or Diners Cards though)
- Cheque payments (Cheques should be crossed and made payable to the “University of Cape Town” and the student name and number written on the back of the cheque.)
- Cash payments up to a maximum of R 1,000.00 can be made at the GSB. Anything greater must be paid directly into a Standard Bank branch or done via another option listed above.